Attendance Policies



Is this your child’s desk?

To report an absence- contact our

Attendance Clerk: Denisse Aguilar

(510) 723-3875 ext. 9 Email:

*Within 72 hours of the initial absence.  

Please provide the following information: 

  • child’s full name

  • spelling of child's last name

  • room number

  • date(s) of absence

  • reason for absence (Illness-symptoms)

  • your name and relationship to the student

  • phone number where you may be reached

Excused Absences

  • Illness

  • Medical/Dental appointments

  • Death or funeral of immediate family member

Note: Medical absence of more than 10 days will require a doctor's note



Tardy students must report to the office for a tardy slip before reporting to class. We cannot excuse tardies for oversleeping, car troubles, heavy traffic, etc.




First Notification Letter

To be classified as a truant, a student has had three (3) unexcused absences or three (3) tardies of 30 minutes or more. Education Code Section 48260.5 requires that the parent/guardian will be notified by a letter informing them of what can occur if their child is not in school.


Second Notification Letter – Truancy Meeting

If improvements in attendance have not been made, then a 2nd letter will be generated. The 2nd letter will have a time and date that you will need to meet with the principal to discuss why your student has been absent without valid reasons.



If all of the above has failed and your child is still not attending school, then your child will be referred for a School Attendance Review Board (SARB) hearing at the Hayward Police Department




The purpose of Short Term independent Study is to enable students who are absent from school for greater than 5 days to participate in standards aligned curriculum that is comparable in quantity and quality to the coursework that they are missing due to their absences.  Reasons to grant Short Independent Study are family on vacation or family out of town due to illness/bereavement. Independent Study is voluntary, it cannot be required.


If you child will be absent greater than 5 days:

  • Contact your child’s teacher 10 days in advance to receive permission for independent study. 

  • If teacher approves independent study please contact Park-Attendance Clerk to sign a master agreement.

  • Independent Study Contract must be signed and dated by all required parties BEFORE the contract begins.

  • Student work is returned the day students return to school, as noted in the contract date.

  • There is no makeup time allowed. 

  • If work is not returned, the contract will not be valid and the absences will be unexcused.